Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Three Times a Lady or Uptown Girl

I crammed a lot of challenges in to this card. First, I'm using a song title: either the one that was provied on Stampin' for the Weekend, "Three Times a Lady" by The Commodores (I know it better by Kenny Rogers but if I remember my history right, Kenny used to be with them or some group with a similar name) or if I have to create my own 70's song title, I'll call it "Uptown Girl". I think I have to use one of their titles but just in case, I gave it a second title. Second, I got the sketch from Cute Daisy May, (3) the color scheme with a bounus if you use vintage from Color Creations (the vintage bounus is the old fashion girl), (4) use a hat at Rainbow Lady's, (5) the Spots and Stripes challenge came from Secret Crafter, (6) the Buttons 'n' Bows came from Kaboodle, and from Flourishs Newsletter the (7) challenge to use shimmers (in my case blue eyeshadow since I don't own any shimmers). Here's a close up of the shimmer on the card:
The image came from Penny Duncan Designs, and I printed it out on green because I'm playing around with color right now - experimenting with my Prismacolors to see what happens. The blue paper with the fourishes on it came from Lindsay's card kit (a.k.a. the frugal crafter).
I used paper circles for most of the circles in the sketch because I was afraid that it would be too bulky and heavy to mail (It could still be too bulky with just one button because I've seen swap cards come in with a small hole in the envelope right where the brad or button was on the card). The button I did use is actually the second button because the first one had the floss untie and I couldn't get it re-tied with my currently long fingernails (they'll get trimmed here in the next couple of days but I'm keeping my DH happy because he likes me scratching his scalp or backside with them) so I got a button without the floss and went to my floss drawer and cut off a piece that was long enough for me and my fingernails to use. I put a dot of glue to hold the knot in place so it will never come undone again. I had to leave the small rectangle above the image off because there just wasn't any room. As it was, I played with the image's placement putting it lower than the sketched asked for it.

21 comments:

Lilacanglia said...

Gorgeous card,
thank you for joining us at Kaboodles, look forward to seeing more of you work,
Hugs
Angie
DT Kaboodles

Christine said...

This is beautiful. I love the colors you chose.

Nancy said...

Lovely card, Cheri:O) Your Lady is amazing, love your colours. Wonderful layout, the cirkles are great!
Thank you for joining us at SFTW this week, good luck!
Nancy;O)

Kimmi said...

Beautiful card. I love the blues and your image is fab! Lovely corner detail wit the buttons and string. Really like the circles you've cut too!

Thank you for joining us this week at "Stampin' for the Weekend". We hope you had fun making you card, and that you come back for many more challenges!

Kimmi

raindropecho said...

Wonderful card! Love all the blues, the circles, and the shimmer looks great! Thanks for joining us this week and hope to see you back :D
- Ann @ Kaboodle Doodles

Donna said...

A very pretty card Cheri, love the bright green in contrast to the blues and the button looks great with the floss tied through it. A great interpretation of Three Times A Lady.
Thank you for participating in the "Stampin' for the Weekend" challenge this week.. Good luck and we hope you'll continue to join in on the challenges on a weekly basis. Have a wonderful day.
Donna xx

Cathy said...

Fabulous card and such an elegant image.
Thank you for joining in the SCSC this week.
Cathy xx

Rainbow Lady said...

Everything about this is wonderful Cheri. Lovely colours and image and great embellishments. Thanks for joining in with my challenge and Cute Daisy May challenge too (I am on the DT). Please come back to mine for more tomorrow. Love Cynthia x

Sandra said...

Hi Cheri...beautiful card,love the image you have used and a great take on the sketch....thanks for joining us this week at CDM,
Take care
San x

Unknown said...

A fantastic card incorporating so many challenges. Thanks for taking part in the Kaboodle challenge.

Sharon Traynor Designs said...

Fabulous card Cheri. I love the image and the design is gorgeous. Thanks for joining the Colour Create Challenge.
Sharon xx

mudmaven said...

Very nice card! Thanks for playing along in our challenge this round! ~chris

Anonymous said...

Fabulous card, Cheri! The image is really beautiful. I love the papers and the circles with the button.
Thank you for joining us at SFTW and good luck! We hope you'll join us again next week. :)
Vanja

Anonymous said...

Oooh this is beautiful Cheri, I love your colour combo.
Thank you for joining us at CDM this week
Ann x

Sheila said...

Fantastic! card gorgeous! image, love the blues on this one and your extra finishing touches are great!! Cheri.
Thanks for joining us this week on SFTW.
Hugs
Sheila xx

♥ Lydia ♥ said...

A gorgeous card with beautiful colours!! ♥
Thanks for joining CDM this week x

Vicki said...

Hiya Cheri, such an elegant card you have created, love the image and the colours schemes offset one another so well, the embellies in the corner really finish your card off a treat. Thank you for joining us for this weeks challenge over at SFTW, good luck xx vicki xx

Linda . J said...

Gorgeous card Cheri and love the design and detail, the colours are beautiful.
Thank you for joining us over at Cute Daisy May.

Hugs Linda

Dena said...

Very pretty card! Such a great vintage feel! Thanks for playing in CC this week. Hugs, Dena

Jo Nevill said...

What a great card, I love the image you have used and those lovely papers - very pretty.

Thank you for joining us at Colour Create this week.

Jo x

Michele Spera said...

What a neat card:-) I really like the colors in it, really nice job and thanks for joining us at cute daisy may this week:-)
XMichele speraX